Thursday, August 18, 2011

How far should you go when negotiating the price of something?

Problem by Seafoodlover: How far ought to you go when negotiating the value of one thing?
I was going to purchase a eating place set from a lady off Craigslist. There have been 11 items – table with two leafs, 8 chairs (two arm and six facet), buffet and china cabinet with hutch. The furniture is fifteen years previous and for the most component it was well held. There is a rather prolonged scratch on the table leading. It wasn't like a surface scratch, but a lot more like one thing had a bit carved the wood. The buffet had a number of knicks and the chair cushions were that previous thick substance. To create new material I would have to just take them to an ulphosterer simply because they weren't the sort that you could redo your self by stapling the cloth to the bottom. She was originally asking $ 1,200 to $ 1,500. When we talked, I provided her $ one,000. She told me to arrive look at the home furniture first then we could discuss. I went to her house and looked at the furniture. Following I noticed the furnishings I supplied her $ 900. She countered $ 950. I told her $ 900. She agreed. I went back home and talked to my husband.

He did not believe the set was really worth $ 900, thinking about the price to have the chair cushions carried out ($ thirty-50 per chair as well as I even now had to purchase my own cloth) and proposed I maintain looking. I called her back again that night and left her a voicemail describing that. She named me back again the next day saying she talked to her husband, and he would promote it to us for $ 800. At that point, I took into consideration that it would value almost $ 400 to get the chairs redone, so I offered her $ 700. She countered $ 750. I informed her to speak to her husband and see what he was ready to do. She mentioned she would contact me back again that evening or very first thing the following early morning. I in no way heard from her. I went back again on Craigslist to seem at other tables for sale, and I saw she had reposted the advert asking for $ 975. It wasn't a huge deal due to the fact I wasn't in love with the home furniture to start with, but did I go too much with the negotiations? I did not assume her to give it away, but I just felt simply because it is so aged she was asking a bit considerably.
She mentioned she paid more than $ three,000 for the home furniture brand name new. It was Drexel Heritage. It looked like excellent heavy furnishings, but won't furniture depreciate like vehicles?


Very best answer:

Reply by onestep_42
You of training course went too much with this distinct negotiation. That is your proper nevertheless and in the conclude you made the decision it was value a whole lot less than the vendor. Be cautious coming into verbal agreements to obtain a thing nonetheless and usually feel one thing about ahead of producing an supply. If you know your paying restrict ahead of you enter an arrangement you will be far better off.



What do you feel? Response below!

No comments:

Post a Comment