Sunday, July 31, 2011

I tried to install a dimmer in my dining room. The instructions said to connect the 2 wires to...?


Question by B: I tried to install a dimmer in my dining room. The instructions said to connect the 2 wires to...?
the dimmer, except when I removed the old light switch,there were three wires in there. I held 2 together and they turned on the dining room light, so those were the ones I connected to the dimmer switch.

When I was done, and had put the breaker back on, the lights in my kitchen did not work. I am thinking it was the third wire that I did not connect... but what should I connect that wire to?


Best answer:

Answer by andycoleman7
you should have a black wire a whit wire and one that is bare copper the black wire and white wire are the ones you need to connect to the switch the last wire is for a safety ground wire it should be connected to either a green wire or a green screw . if this is not the colors of your wires then feel free to email me with the color of the wires you have and i'll be glad to tell you what you need to do. do you have two different switches that will turn your dinning room light on?



Add your own answer in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment