Thursday, May 26, 2011

How to make a traditional/formal dining room set more modern?

Query by Lulu: How to make a conventional/formal dining room set much more modern?
My living area & dining place are one L-shaped area. My living place furnishings has clean, basic lines and art/components lean towards mid-century present day. I was provided my great-grandparent's dining set and when I noticed it in a storage area, it appeared to be rather simple as effectively. Even so, now I understand it's fairly formal, but simply because it is an heirloom, I'd like to maintain it.

I like the dark (fundamentally black) wood coloration. The tops of the buffet and table aren't in the best form even though. Situation issues aside, devoid of some type of covering (tablecloth or runner), the dark furnishings dominates the space in an unappealing way. Dilemma is that table linens only appear to improve the formality of the space.

Benefit is not a concern right here as I don't at any time intend to offer the set, but I'm not so certain I experience about refinishing the table & buffet tops possibly. So how can I tone down the formality of this set although keep a cohesive search?


Best answer:

Remedy by dawnb
Refinishing the set will not only make it greater because its current problem is not in quite great shape but would allow you to finish it in a stain that would soften the formality a bit. You could have it performed in a shabby chic glimpse (outdated style whitewash) which would modernize it, lighten it and however nevertheless preserve its character.



Add your own reply in the responses!

No comments:

Post a Comment