Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I tried to install a dimmer in my dining room. The instructions said to connect the 2 wires to...?

Question by B: I tried using to set up a dimmer in my dining area. The instructions stated to connect the two wires to...?
the dimmer, other than when I eliminated the aged light swap,there had been 3 wires in there. I held 2 together and they turned on the dining area light, so these had been the ones I related to the dimmer change.

When I was carried out, and had place the breaker back on, the lights in my kitchen area did not perform. I am considering it was the third wire that I did not connect... but what really should I connect that wire to?
actually, there have been 4 wires.. I wasnt counting the copper wire.

I feel it was a 3 way change, but the kitchen area has its own swap. This switch turns on and off the kitchen lights.

The swap in the dining room, despite the fact that it has the wire for the kitchen, does not flip on and off the kitchen area light... strangely sufficient.

I just want to know wherever to connect the wire to that I left unconnected... This would be the wire to the kitchen area.
The wire shades ended up 3 black and a single copper. One particular of the black wires was the ground. I know this b/c it was already connected to the ground on the unique light fixture.
oh and also 1 green.. that was the ground


Very best solution:

Solution by imadoofus123
the third wire is ground. there need to be a screw on the side or someplace - i feel its usually green- that that attaches to. the problem is, at times if you connect the ground to both finish it may well operate (b/c it's neutral) so you may well have hooked the ground to good or damaging. this is unsafe. get it off and search at the wires. they ought to be shade coded. I don't don't forget which colours are which but you should be in a position to locate some details on the internet. just make confident to change the breaker off before doing something.



Give your reply to this query below!

No comments:

Post a Comment